It May Not Be Alright But It Is Not All Wrong

Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Democratic Party logoImage via Wikipedia
Paul Fidalgo of Bloc Raisonneur and a Secularism Examiner laments in a recent post at Bloc Raisonneur that

Maybe It's Not Alright

At some point over the past month or so, my credulity reached its breaking point. A confluence of disparate events has saturated me with a feeling of hopelessness about the state of our democracy, our media, our ability to address real crises -- not just problems, crises -- with our politics and government. I have found it nearly impossible to avoid concluding that change is not coming to America.
Please read the remainder of Paul's excellent post, Maybe It's Not Alright.

Below is the comment I posted:
I too feel the despair, I too am angry.

Although, I place plenty of blame on Obama and the not-so-progressive democrats, I feel there is much more blame to go around on the republican side. We may have been sold on the hype of change that Obama promised but I think we were naive to think that everything could be fixed by now. Remember it took Bush eight years to fuck things up.

I certainly understand the apathy of voters and sometimes wonder why I bother. Well I bother because I can. Maybe I will make a difference and maybe I won't but voting is a right that many countries don't give their citizens.

While I have always voted I mostly didn't care about politics however, Bush changed that and I have become much more involved in the political process.

If all else fails, blame Canada!
 But after thinking about it for a while I realized I had more to say.
Since shortly after Bush took office I watched in horror as he dragged the U.S. goodwill and mostly good name through every mud hole in the world. However, much worse than what he did to us internationally, he pilfered, plundered and abused the people of the U.S.

A few years back I became involved in my union's local chapter. At first just as the web master because I enjoy building websites but then as Chapter Public Relations Officer (CPRO). As a CPRO I write the chapter newsletter, send information and communication to members, and interface with the media when necessary.

I just recently became the Regional Political Action Coordinator for my union. While I am still learning all that this position entails I can say that I will be my unions face for most things political in San Luis Obispo County, Ca. 

A few weeks ago I attended a two day Learn to Win 2010 training by the California Democratic Party, (CDP). The training is intended to help "activists in "red-to-blue" opportunity districts with the organizing, communications, technology, and finance skills they’ll need to help Democrats reach out to more voters and win these crucial local races..."

It was fascinating to say the least. While I didn't enjoy all aspects of the process, I enjoyed most it. Since I am a techie I particularly enjoyed the sessions on Using New Technology  - Twitter, Facebook, Blogs - and Online Stragey -  CDP's online campaign management tools.

At this point I do not know what I am going to do with all of this because I have no intention for running for any public office. But, I could see myself in a behind the scenes position on a campaign.

What I do know is that I can't be apathetic any longer. I need to be proactive and involved. While I often feel like Paul does, I do feel the need to try.

And if we can't turn this county around, Blame Canada!
So what are doing to change America?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]